English Club

Was ist los auf der Babenberg? Wer war wo? Und wer war zuletzt zu Hause?

An English Club - is that a good idea?

Absolutely - we all need to know English!
92%
I don't care at all - do what you want, but keep me out of this!
8%
What a nonsense - we are an Austrian Fraternity and need no English crap!
Keine Stimmen

Abstimmungen insgesamt: 13

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
English Club

Beitrag von CC » Fr, 11. Mär 2005, 00:39

Dear fellow brothers, dear members of Salia Babenberg, dear guests!
As you will all have found out by now, this thread is in English, and for a reason.
Anyone of us are confronted with the English language - in school, University, but also in everyday life. Many of us like to watch a movie or a TV show in its original language (which is, mostly, English), read English books etc. But I think we all have some deficits in actually speaking the language, i.e. oral skills.

I would like to change that.

I thought about this for quite a time already, and I think it would be a great thing to practise not alone, but in a group. My idea would be to meet on a regular basis, that is once a fortnight or even once a week. The agenda would be completely free; it would range from watching movies to giving and hearing lectures to just have a jolly good time chatting and having drinks.
It would be an invitation not only for Babenbergers, Salians or CVers, but virtually everyone interested. There would be just one rule: we all would have to speak English.
The place - would obviously be the Bude; as for the time, I think Thursday evening would be a marvellous opportunity. Fraternity and Sorority events usually take place on mondays (Budenmontag), Tuesdays (BC's), and Wednesdays (AC's, Salia's events), so Thursday usually is not occupied. What about nine o'clock? Too late? Well, we could start earlier, of course, but some of us have got University duties until eight o'clock, others are already working a.s.o. Anyway, tell me what you think about it!
Our first meeting therefore will take place Thursday, March 17th, at 09:00 p.m. at the Babenbergerbude. Hope you will be attending numerously!
And once again: nobody has to be ashamed of his knowledge - I am not a native speaker myself! We just want to get some practise, not win a competition!
All the best to everyone,
CC (Oscar)

PS: Comments are welcome and desperately desired!
„Es ist so traurig, sich allein zu freuen.“ - G. E. Lessing, Minna von Barnhelm

Piscibus
Post-Masta
Post-Masta
Beitrag von Piscibus » Fr, 11. Mär 2005, 09:28

On Thursday we`re celebrating our FCs! ;)

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Beitrag von CC » Fr, 11. Mär 2005, 10:30

Ouch!
See, never having been a Babenberg-Fuchs myself, I just forgot about this fact...
so, let's find another date - any ideas?

Obertaurus
Post-Masta
Post-Masta
Beitrag von Obertaurus » Fr, 11. Mär 2005, 11:54

Good idea! I have to improve my english every time!
"Es fehlt an der erforderlichen Tiefenhygiene!"

Wuzi
Post-Masta
Post-Masta

Beitrag von Wuzi » Fr, 11. Mär 2005, 12:18

The Salia-Girls don't have any event on Wednesday the 16th of March! :wink: I think fixing a special weekday will be quite difficult, maybe we should fix the date of the meetings flexible!
Die Sonne scheint mir auf ....

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie

Beitrag von CC » Fr, 11. Mär 2005, 12:46

This could be a possibility...
Thing is I have an appointment next Wednesday, but well, I think I COULD cancel it... Pity though

Nevertheless, in general I think a fix date every week/fortnight would be fine. But if there absolutely is no possibility... We'll have to see.

Go on making propositions!

Piscibus
Post-Masta
Post-Masta
Beitrag von Piscibus » Fr, 11. Mär 2005, 13:23

maybe we can start by playing english computergames on the LAN-Party.

by the way... does anyone need a spanish version of "Roman Total War"?

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie

Beitrag von CC » Fr, 11. Mär 2005, 14:10

Great joke haw haw haw...
Why of course you are playing English spoken computer games - are there any other? :-)
I don't even know the English version of "Roman Total War".
And anyhoo, what would that Spanish version be - "La Guerra totala romana"?

BTW, I won't be there tonight; maybe tomorrow. As I won't play, there is not too much sense in coming anyway, is there?

saitai
Post-Masta
Post-Masta
Beitrag von saitai » Fr, 11. Mär 2005, 15:11

Monday Budenhock
Tuesday BC, AC,...
Wednesday BbW Soccer League
Thursday FC
Friday Kneipen

So when do you want to practice?

BTW It makes much sense watching 20 people playing and seeing how the tension increases from game to game...
Home is where the heart is givin' up

Wuzi
Post-Masta
Post-Masta

Beitrag von Wuzi » Fr, 11. Mär 2005, 16:25

Okay my Federal Brothers! I'll wish you good luck for the LAN and the dicussion about fixing a date. I'll be in the Forum on monday the next time, because i have to read some articles for my homeexam tomorrow and I'll write my assignment this weekend, because of the deadline on monday. Good bye and cu next monday!
Die Sonne scheint mir auf ....

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie

Beitrag von CC » Sa, 12. Mär 2005, 13:09

Well, there is no Kneipe every Friday. Also, Fuxenstunden do not last until the next morning. Lastly, we have not only one room at the Bude, and as a brother pointed out excellently, we can talk English at the bar, too. So I think I will stay with Thursday at 9 p.m., and we will see what happens.
BTW, where were you yesterday evening, SaiTai? Cause I DID be there, and I have to admit it WAS fun!
Wuzi, good luck with your reading!

saitai
Post-Masta
Post-Masta
Beitrag von saitai » Sa, 12. Mär 2005, 13:12

I was at the bar with Bonzo, Albano, Mäx and his father. And we both shook hands, can't remember?
Home is where the heart is givin' up

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie

Beitrag von CC » Sa, 12. Mär 2005, 13:29

Oooops! :oops:
*giggles sheepishly*
Sorry, you don't seem to be such a personality to remember :-)
Gosh, am I ashamed...

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie

Beitrag von CC » Di, 15. Mär 2005, 10:26

Just wanted to remind you that English Club will take place Thursday, March 17th, 9 p.m., at the Babenbergerbude. I am aware that there is a Fuchsenstunde right before that, but I hope Piscibus will not abuse the foxes too much... :lol: Anyway, we can always talk English at the bar...
So, come!

Piscibus
Post-Masta
Post-Masta
Beitrag von Piscibus » Di, 15. Mär 2005, 11:38

maybe you want to prepare a short speech about the educational system in the UK for the FC? 8)

Antworten