English Club

Was ist los auf der Babenberg? Wer war wo? Und wer war zuletzt zu Hause?

An English Club - is that a good idea?

Absolutely - we all need to know English!
92%
I don't care at all - do what you want, but keep me out of this!
8%
What a nonsense - we are an Austrian Fraternity and need no English crap!
Keine Stimmen

Abstimmungen insgesamt: 13

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Beitrag von CC » Di, 15. Mär 2005, 11:46

To be honest, I was not planning on this, but I think it is a great idea and am very glad that you proposed to prepare the speech. Thank you! :wink:
Just kidding; I have in fact prepared something, but not exactly what you had in mind, and not for the FC. 8) Prepare to be amazed!
„Es ist so traurig, sich allein zu freuen.“ - G. E. Lessing, Minna von Barnhelm

capriccio
Stammgast
Stammgast
Beitrag von capriccio » Di, 15. Mär 2005, 17:24

uuuuuh sounds auspicious and makes me snoopy...

what a pity that I have already dated another talk on thursday;
hopefully it isn't so next time ...
In einer irrsinnigen Welt vernünftig sein zu wollen, ist schon wieder ein Irrsinn für sich. - Voltaire

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Beitrag von CC » Fr, 18. Mär 2005, 21:29

Thank God we still met yesterday... 't was nice, wasn't it?

Anyway (and this is for everyone), we (Capriccio and me) thought that meeting on Wednesdays would be better. Unlike I thought, practically every Wednesday is free. So let's say: next meeting (whoever wants to) will be Wednesday, April 6th, from 8:30 on.
Looking forward to it! 8)

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie

Beitrag von CC » Fr, 18. Mär 2005, 22:39

By the way:
Yesterday arose the question how to translate some terms. Well, I was curious, looked it up in the dictionary, and here's what I found:

According to LEO, a Bundesbruder is
a) a "fellow-member of a student society"
b) a "fraternity brother"
But if I wanted to say "Lieber Bundesbruder" in English, I would probably rather say "dear fellow brother" or even "dear fellow"... the rest sounds too formal in my ears.

Also, a "Studentenverbindung" is
a) a "(students') fraternity"
b) a "student association"
c) a "students' union"
I prefer "association" or "union"; the term "fraternity" refers to American "Studentenverbindungen", which are rather notorious than famous... :wink:

But I have still no idea how to translate "Bude" - all proposed translations seem to refer more to a "Häusl" or "Hütte" than to a "Verbindungshaus"...

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie

Beitrag von CC » Fr, 18. Mär 2005, 22:44

Oh, and of course there are "sororities"/"sisterhoods", too!
*almost forgot about our girls* :oops:

saitai
Post-Masta
Post-Masta
Beitrag von saitai » Mo, 21. Mär 2005, 12:01

CC hat geschrieben:But I have still no idea how to translate "Bude" - all proposed translations seem to refer more to a "Häusl" or "Hütte" than to a "Verbindungshaus"...
How about club house?
Home is where the heart is givin' up

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie

Beitrag von CC » Mi, 6. Apr 2005, 11:57

Hail Fellows!
Wish you all a Happy Easter!
I came back from Aix-la-Chapelle last Monday, and as I already pointed out in a mail, our English Club will be postponed to next week due to a Salia-Meeting tonight. Hope you will all be attending our meeting next week...
I am still looking for some ideas what to do. We (i.e. Capriccio and me) thought of a keg of English beer (Guinness? Kilkenny? I know, these are Irish beers, but who cares...)
BTW, please don't think of our English Club as a concurrence to football - we start at 20:00, and there is an open beginning!
See you,
Ansgar

CC
Forumsjunkie
Forumsjunkie

Beitrag von CC » Mi, 13. Apr 2005, 14:33

Hi fellas!
I hope nobody forgot that tonight there will be an English evening! I would like to ask you to bring anything you think could be of use - such as giant Union Jacks, favourite books, a bottle of Whisk(e)y, a picture with the Queen, a great movie a.s.o. We will think about what to do those evenings, when to meet, how often - I think you get the picture. Bring whoever you want to, girlfriends, friends, girls, but also boys, boyfriends, um... - well, let's drop that, will we? :)
So, what else? Have a productive afternoon, and (hopefully) see you tonight at eight!
PS: If anyone could tell our football enthusiasts they are very welcome after training...

saitai
Post-Masta
Post-Masta
Beitrag von saitai » Mi, 13. Apr 2005, 17:48

I'll bring my green sport bag. Hope, this is ok... and a big hunger :wink:
Home is where the heart is givin' up

Antworten